Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Delicious

THE NEW AGE NEW BEAUT INVISIBLE CLOUD BOOKMARKING TOOL.
...so the rumour goes... 

  
If it's a cloud in the sky what's it doin to the atmosphere??                Global warming and all that...you know...mmm bit scarey...not sayin that's what it's contributing to but seriously; between you and me;       I'm WARY.
You know...turn the page on the corner (ooo perish the thought ! use a book mark!) 
 Used it vaguely a long time ago. As far as bookmarking goes I'm glad I put the URL's on it I did, but realistically it's not really for me. Not at this point of time anyway. Personally I'd rather read books and RSS keeps me up to date with whatever I'm interested in. HOWEVER... if I had a 'desk' job as a researcher, or into conservation orrrr was a 'much younger' student, I think it would be invaluable. Akin to a 'Favorites List'.  I wish there was one for movies to go and see!

Today's version of Delicious does have very good help pages for the tools it supplies giving you the choice of a 'quick' tour or 'full' tour. You can have bookmarking buttons and add-ons for your browser or website. It is certainly worth having a look at. If you don't want to use it like this the original version of saving your bookmarks is still available. I like the way you have the choice.

It can also be used as a research tool to see what others are accessing. Although this could be fraught with rubbish unless you have a good network of knowledgeable peers that are trustworthy - academically and socially.

It has changed a wee bit since last I visited but nothing drastic and very easy still to use. There are no folders for categories as such, they are called tag bundles. Either way you look at it you still get 'visual' browsing. The tags use cross referencing and if I used it all the time I would definitely subscribe to other users and share information that way.

I understand the uses for this application and can see it behind the scenes in a library but not sure at this stage how for patrons. On a large scale it would get a bit time consuming for links to 'good reads, Author official websites, Blogs, RSS and the like. I can see it used for 'Book Group' and other groups run by a Library for those members who are so inclined.

Have a play with this one. Get the feel by starting with FAQ'S

Can anyone point me in the direction of  of any other similar applications? 
I'd like to compare.


 sumthingdifferent. (2007). Blue Sky and Clouds. Available: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13105039@N04/2220459219/in/set-72157603819711344. Last accessed 31st Jul 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment