Sunday, July 24, 2011

Flickr

                 Today's job...Flickr
 
 
 And no, as you can see I'm not looking for 'Flicker' the horse from movie and television fame.




I thought I would give old historical library architecture a go this time round. I have used this application in the past for 'light entertainment'. Watching slideshows of flowers.
Excitedly I began, stumped again - I failed...Lesson learnt...research your topic first 'before' doing this type of subject search.

As the seemingly inevitable pattern continues; in the need to get things moving along, I decide to change tact but will definately go back forewarned and forearmed on the search for stunning architecture.

 My searching strategy now involves Bookbinding, National Library of Australia, State Library of New South Wales and Conservation of books. Rijksmuseum ResearchLibrary uses Flickr like a diary for their Book Restoration Studio. With my favourite photographs today, that I share with you,coming from Northeast Document Conservation Center's photostream.

All totally different in what they show and have to say. From photographic instructions on how to bind a book, the Flickr effect and Picture Australia, digitising archival photographs which several libraries around the globe tend to use. Personally I prefer the State Library of Tasmania's photographic digitisation layout
I even stumbled upon one Universities photographs on how they moved some of their collection.


Having fiddled with Flickr in the past I added another piccie, a Library photo of my own from Polytechnic. 

I have been loving the fact that some Libraries including my own (oops! in my case LINC and that's a whole other subject...) have been using and promoting the use of 'mash ups' - an amazing world to explore. Check out the winners of this years competition.
I particularly love this one by Soul Solution - Mosaic of QLD – 50 000 images mashed up.

Flickr has an amazing amount of applications for the user to explore and use. It would take ever so long to learn and experiment with them all, I can see it becoming a 'hobby' in it's own right and could become rather addictive!

Julie Martin NEDCC. (2011). Historic document. 
Available: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nedcc/with/5375557602/. Last accessed 24 Jul 2011. 

Julie Martin NEDCC. (2011). Maps. Available: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nedcc/with/5375557602/. Last accessed 24 Jul 2011.

Julie Martin NEDCC. (2011). Finishing tool. 
Available: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nedcc/with/5375557602/. Last accessed 24 Jul 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Another long post that is probably tldr. I am commenting on the fact that I can't see the photos. You may like to try inserting them or new ones with another post. They can certainly help to break up the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's strange about the photographs. I've not had any problems seeing them from a variety of computers. It may just be one of 'Bloggers' many glitches ;/

    ReplyDelete