Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Directories, Databases & Indexes


DEFINITIONS... WEB STYLE...

To begin this exercise I decided to try a ‘free online dictionary’, something I had not done previously. 
I chose The Free Dictionary.  The home page is very ‘social media’ like, interesting information, well set out, easy to read and easy to use with a good array of search options. Before doing anything I assessed it for authority. Not as much as I would have liked being that it’s a Wiki, but thought I’d give it ago anyway.

I headed straight to the Dictionary/Thesaurus. At first glance of this page I was suitably impressed and the blurb was not shy in letting you know where they source their information from. As ‘Collins’ is one of them I felt confident in proceeding.
My first searches for Bibliographic Database  and Bibliographic hit the nail on the head for me. The explanations written in a way that is readily grasped and includes links to more definitions related to my search. PERFECT for my assignment exercise.

Then the downfall…..ADS! I was so absorbed with what I was interested in how could I not see them! Oh…and then they stick out like a sore thumb grrrr…. No I just have to pretend they are not there.

Seemingly on a winner I continue with gusto on my quest to finish this assignment.
Index (database) and then ‘Periodical Index (database)’ – no luck with this one but a link to try Technorati is suggested (again no luck) or try each word separately. Happy with my index search I go for Periodical so between the two I can piece together the meaning. Possibly had this Wiki been also contributed to by Australians it would have come up? Maybe, maybe not maybe I’m just being cynical as I never seem to find much Australian content on the Web. Not completely from one country this Wiki does source information from both the U.S.A and Britain for the English language offering a ‘predictive choice’.

At a whim whilst using ‘Word’ I give the research engine a burl. No ‘Periodical Index’ here either. The Encarta Dictionary used does also give a reasonable and easily understandable description of ‘Index’ which I can also use.

One more … ‘Directory’ and as I’m particularly interested in Web 2.0  Directory (database) is my choice of search.

Satisfied with my foray into the unknown and the definitions for the task needed, I can now put this baby to bed and get on with the exercise at hand.

PS    No I haven’t been convinced on Wikis but this goes a good way towards it! he he he he
PPS I would also have liked to have seen a 'Synonyms' tab

No comments:

Post a Comment