Saturday, August 6, 2011

Rollyo

 NUP don't like it. Felt I kept hitting brick walls with a few 'standard' things I wanted to do. Couldn't update or use a photograph as all of the other 'advertised' users had or even an 'add to my rollyo' tool. Admittedly I tried some time after I had signed up, but surely I could have had the choice to do so at a later date. Or is it because it's ANOTHER American application and we Aussies don't have the option of doing so??? It wouldn't even let me save changes to the Searchroll I had created, althoough I was logged in it didn't recognise me. Eventually after several attempts over a period of days (not changing the way I was doing anything) it worked. Another application with glitches.

If any one is interested I am Mother Moonshine.  My Searchroll is Life Long Learning. Some URL's I have added to my roll are National Archives of Australia, National Library of Australia and their Blog 'Behind the Scenes', Hey Jude, Delicious, David Lee King, Confessions of a Curator and Librarian in Black. Thought these would be a good cross section to try as they incorporate Web 2.0 and all things 'old'. I'm sure I could add a lot more than this to my list.

Another good idea and again, not really for me on a personal level. It attempts to offer ease of use, clearly set out and uncluttered. I would like to see an Australian version and then I could visualise it being used within the library industry 'inhouse' as part of the intranet. Even as a guide on a Libraries Home page for visitors to use as a reference to interesting sites. The information could be supplied by a 'Celebrity', 'Head Librarian' of Collections , 'Researcher', 'Children's Librarian', 'Historian', 'Book Head of the Month' etc, etc... promoted in a non 'geeky' and upbeat way. Each catagorised with their own 'Searchroll'. I can also see the benefits for University students.
A more comprehensive bookmarking tool such as Delicious or the like, I feel would be better for sharing between colleagues within departments.











No comments:

Post a Comment